2 months ago I found out about this festival in Lithuania by clicking through obscure music genres in Wikipedia. I did not have any other real holiday plans, so I decided to make this my summer destination. Some details:
- Mėnuo Juodaragis is the festival of contemporary Baltic culture representing the heritage of heathen tradition, Baltic culture revival, post-folk currents and avant-garde of contemporary music
- At the Big Oak: 19.30 – Opening rites. The opening rites will be performed at a mighty oak on the Northern cape, where an altar will flare up.
- NO showers or lavatories in the island, – but there will be plenty of water in the lake. And we think that as long as this fest is pagan, clear lake is enough to stay clean and refreshed.
- The beer of the Festival “TAURAS” will cost 1,5 EUR per pint.
- The entire festival area will be guarded throughout the Festival by a professional security service, a motorbike-club and other personnel. (Post-soviet motorbike-club, that certainly will fit right in with the hippies!)
- Football tournament, and a beach volleyball area is also available. (That seems really off somehow)
Yes, I will bring my camera, and yes, I will make a lot of pictures.